Friday, May 05, 2017

Cake: A Love Story by J. Bengtsson


Cake: A Love Story
J. Bengtsson
(Cake #1)
Publication date: May 14th 2016
Genres: New Adult, Romance
Jake McKallister might have been a rock star, but he was no ordinary one. Surviving an unspeakable crime as a young teen had shaped him into a guarded workaholic, and he now lived his life trying to forget. If it hadn’t been for music and the redemption he found through it, he might not have survived. Career success came easily for him. Personal connections did not.
When outspoken, vivacious college student Casey Caldwell was paired with the famously reserved rockstar for a friend’s wedding, she was prepared for the worst. What could they possibly have in common? She was a bubbly talker; he was a reclusive loner. His life was filled with music; she couldn’t carry a tune. She’d enjoyed a happy childhood; his was a well-publicized nightmare.
Yet despite their obvious differences, Jake and Casey found each other, and her light balanced out his darkness. Would their love be strong enough to survive the weight of his tragic past?
AUTHOR’S NOTE: This is a *full-length* standalone romance. Cake is a love story at heart but does deal with a sensitive topic and may not be for all.
Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of eighteen.
*This novel was professionally re-edited on June 28th, 2016*
EXCERPT:
-Banter-
I gave an apologetic look. “I know. Sorry. You intimidate me. I mean, it would take no effort on your part to get with pretty much any girl at this wedding.”
Jake didn’t refute my claim – probably because he knew it was true. In fact, he was actually giving what I said quite a bit of thought. What was I getting myself into?
Finally, he sighed, and said, “Sometimes having sex just isn’t worth the consequences.”
“What does that mean?”
“It means that with sex comes expectations.”
I waited for him to explain his comment, and when he didn’t I said, “And?”
Jake exhaled dramatically, as if he were expected to explain himself to a child. “If I’m going to have meaningless sex with someone, I need a quick exit strategy; otherwise she’s going to want to follow me around – or worse, talk. In a setting like this, there’s no way to disappear after getting it on, so sex wouldn’t be worth the consequences… get it?”
“Wow, you’ve really given this a lot of thought.”
He nodded in agreement. “I’ve learned from experience.”
“I’m sure you have. So, then, I guess it’s a good thing we aren’t going to have meaningless sex tonight.” I laughed. “Because I would definitely be following you around trying to talk to you.”
“I know. You’d be the worst.”


Author Bio:
J. Bengtsson lives in Southern California with her husband and three children. Her favorite things to do are laugh, go for walks, and hang out with family. 'Cake' is her debut novel.



XBTBanner1

2 comments :

  1. Proof that you can have your Cake and read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name for a person, as Cake, :) It sounds like an arranged meeting that wasn't supposed to happen. Or more like the opposites attact phenom, lol Whatever it is, I'd like to read this book!

    ReplyDelete