Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Quit List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's topic is to pick 10 bookish things that you want to quit. It could be authors you don't want to read any more, or series you want to drop. Or even books that you marked as DNF recently.



Series I've Quit
Seriously, all three of these were just bad. Awful heroines, cheesy writing and absurd story lines. I was almost willing to give the next book in the Elemental series another go, but when I found out that it was about a different brother and we would have to go through the whole painful process all over again, I decided to take a pass.  _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Authors I Won't Read Again

These authors have committed cardinal sins that I cannot forgive. Which means, I cannot trust that they won't do it to me again with a new series. 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________


Recently DNF
This one wasn't DNF'd because it wasn't good! Quite the opposite, it was scaring the crap out of me and I decided I was too much of a baby to read it.  _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

My first entry for the Quit List is that I should quite buying books! This one is important because it affects me financially. But in my defense, this is the reason why I go  to work everyday, so that I can buy things that make me happy. Yes, BOOKS!  They say money can not buy happiness, but you can buy books and it is almost the same thing! Sometimes I wish I could stop buying books, because to be honest I do not have enough time to read all of them. I have a lot of books, enough that I bet I could go one year without buying any new ones and still have books to read. But I love them and I want them, so I keep buying them anyway! 

These are my books, probably not as many as any of you might have  but they keep piling up, and I do not mind.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

My second entry has to do with an author I refuse to read any more. And that would be Cassandra Clare. I will never EVER read anything that has to do with Shadow hunters again. That is pretty much the only thing that she writes. Dude, I got tired of it pretty quick and she should have stopped at the third book of The Mortal Instruments. As of right now, there are 11 books that are either already released or have release dates, 2 manga adaptations, AND a graphic novel, 14 short stories, a movie and an upcoming TV show. Enough of Shadow hunters already!  _____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Another thing I need to add to my quit list is that I should stop adding book on my Amazon wish list and on my TBR list on Goodreads. I have way too many on there as it is, more than I could read in a lifetime. But I don't think that will be happening any time soon.

 _____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The fourth item on my quit list would be that I should quit fantasizing about Dougal Mackenzie. I love him too much!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last one is really on my husband's quit list for me. Though, of course this will never happen. He told me I should stop reading any romance books because it makes him look bad. My expectations for him are so high because of the books I read.

Sorry, honey. I love you but that will never happen.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

34 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. I worry about someone reading it because I thought it was scary! I am such a baby, you would probably not be scared :p

      Delete
  2. Haha, I might just pick up The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall now! I read the first three Mortal Instruments books and the Infernal Device series (which actually frustrated me so much), but like you I'm over that universe, give me something else, please! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the writing style in Dead Girls! You might not find it as scary though, I am a HUGE baby!

      Delete
  3. I love that last one! My husband said something similar when I started watching Outlander on STARZ. He asked, "Does this Jamie Frazier look like the Jamie you envisioned in your head as you read the book?" I replied, "Pretty much." He then said, "You know there's no way in the world I can compete with THAT..." LOL!

    2,527 books on your TBR list! Wow-zers!

    Cute list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes. Men have nothing on Jamie, the one from the book and the show, I feel sorry for them hahahaha.

      I will never get to read those book. I usually go thru (sp?) starting from the end of the list to see if I can find anything to buy for cheap.

      Delete
  4. Ha these were some great ones! That is an insane amount of books you own and books on your to read list!!! Good for you! My husband would agree with your last one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! love this list! But now I'm curious - what are the cardinal sins that break it for you with an author?
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge fan of main character death in books (or TV shows, Kdramas, etc.)! I can try to handle it, if it really makes sense for the story line. But I have to be in a very adult mood in order to see the sense behind it, so it doesn't happen often :p Also, if your story is more sex than story line, you go into my never read again pile. I don't mean to come off as a prude, I don't have a problem with sex in books! But with Laurell K Hamilton, by the 10th or 11th book, you were looking at 800 page books, with 600 of them being sex scenes. I just want more story than that :p

      Do you have any cardinal sins that keep you from reading an author?

      Delete
  6. I agree with the shadowhunter thing, despite continuing on with the series - the third book definitely felt like the end for me. I'm also tempted to check out The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall now!
    Great List! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I should have put a disclaimer under Dead Girls! I really am a huge baby, so my finding it scary, doesn't necessarily mean it's really that scary :p

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with you, Allyson, about Laurel K. Hamilton. I made the mistake of picking up one of her books out of sequence, and soon drowned in endless summaries of what went before, interrupted briefly by sex scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! It's hard to believe it, but the first few books in the series were really incredible. I mean, Anita Blake was such a different kind of heroine for me at the time. Strong, smart and kick ass. But with each passing book, it got to the point where you could hardly even recognize her any more!

      Delete
  8. Allyson, why did you give up on Laurel K. Hamilton (because I'm nosy like that)? Just curious. I used to read her Anita Blake series, but gave up on it after awhile.

    Mariela - Such drool worthy photos of your shelves. :-) I hadn't realized there was talk of a Shadow Hunter TV series. I've only read the first book and am not sure if I will continue. The movie kind of spoiled me on the books--not because I thought it was good, but because there was a spoiler, which I then researched (stupid idea), which lead to more spoilers . . .You get the idea. As for romance novels, my husband feels the same way. LOL They have nothing on him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started LKH's Anita Blake books in high school, and she was absolutely incredible. She was strong, she didn't take crap from anyone and could absolutely take care of her self. Unfortunately, with each new book, you saw less and less of that. And then with each book there was just more and more sex scenes until there wasn't even a story any more. Just a vague sketch of how to get Anita from one man's bed to the next. And I really don't want to sound like a prude here! I am all for sex in books, and I love romance more than the next person. But I read for so much more than just those things, so when LKH could only deliver on the sex aspect, she lost me :(

      Delete
    2. That's pretty much why I gave up on the series too. I was so disappointed with the direction the series had gone. Laurell K. Hamilton was my first foray into that genre and I'll always be grateful to her for that, at least.

      Delete
    3. Thanks!
      I loved the first 3 books of The Mortal Instruments , but in my opinion, she kept going with this world, Jace and his daddy drama and started to get on my nerves. Will, from her Infernal Device series ( also Shadow Hunters books), in my opinion it was just like Jace, had family drama just like Jace, I felt like I was reading the same story.
      There is also a TV show coming out about the Shadow Hunters, every time I think about it I get pissed because they seem to have cast the wrong people .
      But I'll watch it when it gets to Netflix.

      Delete
  9. The asylum book was good, but if you want something really scary try Dead House. :)
    My ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/10/ten-bookish-things-i-want-to-quit-or.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dead House is on my list! I have heard that it is supposed to be really creepy! I am such a chicken though, I don't know how I'm going to get through it :p

      Delete
  10. I just got shelf envy!!! And Dougal? lol I though everyone fantasized about Jamie! ;) Dougal's a jerk!! LOL psst. I'm borrowing that graphic! I can't live without books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I super duper love Jamie!!
      But I have something for older men and Dougal is a sexy one!

      Delete
  11. Great list! I'm also tired of Cassandra Clare. It just seems like she's constantly writing the same thing over and over again, and that's what I've been told to. I forced myself to finish the Eve trilogy since I hate not finishing series. That's something I need to work on. Thanks for visiting my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not force myself to finish a book I do not like because I know I will be stuck with it for like a month. I just put it down and grab another one.

      Delete
  12. Fab lists! Mariela you do have a lot of books :) but, you know, there are worse things you could spend your money on! I think as long as you're not getting into debt, buying books doesn't hurt anyone, so ... Unless your book buying is annoying yourself, which mine is right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book buying is not a serious problem .... not yet hahahaha but yes I like to buy more than I need. :P

      Delete
  13. So, I think I know what Allyson's problem is with Veronica Roth, I know that a lot of people are unhappy with her due to some decisions she made in her books, but I still love her, and will definitely read anything else that she brings out!
    Never stop buying books! Maybe if you think you have too many you could give some away or do a giveaway, but as you said books are happiness! You can't not buy books!
    Oh, Cassandra Clare, you make me so sad with this one because I truly love her. Totally difference of opinion here, you think she needs to stop because its boring now, whereas I am totally amazed that she has managed to write so many books about this world she has created and each one is fresh and just an incredible read! But yes, I guess difference of opinion with that one!
    But when it comes to TBR's I am totally with you. I have been working on culling mine for the past month, and it is still up in stupid figures! Oh well, I guess there are worse things in life to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like her books are kind of the same.I just got tired and bored with them.
      But I also understand your opinion because I LOVE the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes/Michelle Rowen, and that series has a spin off and I read it and I also LOVED it and I want more and more of those books.
      I have so many books on my list that I do not even know what is in there.

      Delete
  14. Haha. I love the addition by your husband, Mariela.

    Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He needs to share my love.
      When I was reading the Fever Series, I remember it was a snowing day and I asked him to drive me to work because he drives better than me on the snow, his answer was " Why don't you ask Barrons to drive you?" haha

      Delete
  15. I always feel bad when I buy a book, but then I remember that it's my money and books make me happy. I can definitely relate to that. I don't have that many books on my goodreads tbr, but I feel like when I add books on there it makes it seem like I HAVE to read them.
    - Emma @ Emma Likes Books
    http://emmalikesbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going to Second and Charles, that store has great prices on books. And they all look like new.
      Also there is not enough time to read. I used to read 3 books a week, I do not know what happened to me but now I am down to a book every 10-15 days hahaha. I'll never get that list down..

      Delete
  16. Ooooh. <- got distracted by pictures of bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, love your bookshelves :D Although I agree, the never-ending TBR pile can get a bit stressful at times but... books!

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier :)

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great lists! I agree on the TBR. Yet I keep adding to my Goodreads list too. It is completely unmanageable!

    ReplyDelete